By Victor Ayeni
The Lagos State Government has warned residents against unsafe fuel storage in homes, markets, and workplaces which could result in a fire with resultant loss of lives and properties.
The Director-General of the Lagos State Safety Commission, Mr Lanre Mojola, gave the warning in a statement on Monday, noting that the commission had received messages from residents of FESTAC over the unsafe sale of fuel in the area.
Mojola added that the commission has partnered with the Lagos State Taskforce to ensure the enforcement of safety rules and deal with persistent defaulters.
He said, “The dry weather occasioned by the harmattan weather, coupled with storage of fuel in homes, marketplaces, workplaces and the careless disposal of cigarettes stubs, adulterated fuel, electrical surges and sparks, petrol leakages and illegal wire connections often trigger a fire that can lead to loss of lives and properties.
“The commission, as a regulatory agency saddled with the responsibility of ensuring the safety of lives and properties, carries out its activities through a proactive process of policy formulation, setting safety standards and carrying out advocacy programmes to promote a safety culture in the state goes a long way to prevent accidents and protect the citizens.
“Do not store fuel at home, shops, or marketplaces because it is extremely dangerous to place generating sets on the decking of storey buildings; they should be kept outside the building and at a distance. Residents should always ensure that their generators are switched off before fuelling and they should have a fire extinguisher in their homes, shops and marketplaces.”
Source: The Punch